Thursday, April 23, 2020

Scarling. - Sweet Heart Dealer (2004)


This one goes out to the person on my followers list with Marilyn Manson as their profile pic -- I see you and I'm with you. Dark alt rock with sharp-edged, shoegaze-y guitars and the beguiling vocals of Jessicka Fodera, formerly of Manson affiliates Jack Off Jill. On Sweet Heart Dealer, Scarling. almost comes off as a grownup version of Jack Off Jill; in fact, the thick, distorted bass that opens the record directly recalls "American Made", the first track on JOJ's first album. The bitterness, heartbreak, and spookiness are still in place, along with the aggressive instrumentation and Fodera's willingness to shred her vocal cords. But it's altogether way more complex, more ethereal, and less angsty.

Track listing:
1. The Last Day I Was Happy
2. Band Aid Covers the Bullet Hole
3. Crispin Glover
4. Alexander the Burn Victim
5. Baby Dracula
6. Black Horse Riding Star
7. Can't (Halloween Valentine)

And I can't have fun
Makes me feel like nothing


If you like this, try:
Medicine -
Her Highness (1995)
Year of the Rabbit -
Year of the Rabbit (2003)

4 comments:

  1. This is one of the creepiest covers I've seen. I'm even doubtful about downloading.
    Hope to overcome the fear and find you delivered another great album. Cheers and thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yo, dude..
    i though that with the lockdown, you should have gone in a frenzy of music posting...
    Insead i keep visiting your page each day and you're quieter than ever....
    what happened??

    Concerned Lilith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a combination of factors. I've been listening to a lot of musical comfort food -- lots of Nick Drake, Nico, and early Belle & Sebastian -- and I'm not about to do a post on Pink Moon or whatever. Also, the fact that I'm not physically going to school and my wife is out of work means that I'm actually spending less time alone than normal, so this means less hours spent nerding out with my headphones on. But don't worry, I'm OK.

      Delete
  3. Wow, thanks! I have "So Long Scarecrow" which I really like.

    ReplyDelete