Monday, August 16, 2021

The Clientele - The Violet Hour (2003)


Heavenly English indie pop/rock. Chiming guitars, shuffling drums, and dreamy, whispery vocals, all awash in reverb. I know that we're all paying attention to 5 things at once, and this band's super easy to just vibe to, but I highly recommend actually giving this record the close listen that it deserves; like, read along to the lyrics and everything. Here, you don't even have to Google them.

(Re: previous post: I deleted it, so anyone who commented on it obviously won’t be getting a direct response. Definitely makes me think that I should always do at least a little research about bands before I post about them — I usually do, but sometimes I just stumble across a record, get super stoked about it, and post it without knowing anything about the artist. My bad. Thanks to everyone for letting me know. I’m drunk and on vacation, so I’m gonna leave it at that for now, but might want to share more thoughts when I’m in a better position to do so.)

Track listing:
1. The Violet Hour
2. Voices in the Mall
3. When You and I Were Young
4. Missing
5. Jamaican Rum Rhumba
6. House on Fire
7. Everybody's Gone
8. Porcelain
9. Haunted Melody
10. Prelude
11. Lamplight
12. The House Always Wins
13. Policeman Getting Lost


Listen to these, too:

13 comments:

  1. Your sharing is hugely appreciated and has lead to more than a couple bandcamp purchases, so IMO your karma level will always stay positive!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I have their 2005 disc. I had no idea this existed. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. frankly, i think suburban light (despite being a single comp) is a top 10 album of the decade. violet hour is right there but a bit more polished. huge fan of the band. not such a great live show sadly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it counts as an album, Suburban Light is their best, but Violet Hour is a very close second. SL tends to get more shine so I figured I'd give VH a spotlight. I've heard before that they're not great live, can't say it's terribly surprising, they kinda come across as a band that'd be more comfortable in a studio than on stage.

      Delete
  4. When it comes to realizing an artist/band are actually garbage humans, I know that feel. If you're into black metal, neo-folk, martial industrial, it is a bit of a minefield sometimes. Happens to the best of us. It's delete, so, quoth Can, yoo doo right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, with black metal/neofolk/martial it's almost expected. There are obviously plenty of artists operating in those fields who aren't garbage, but it's never shocking when you find out otherwise. It stings a little more when it's a member of the punk/hardcore/radical-left-leaning community because you kinda inherently expect them to do better. And it's infinitely worse when they're not just dumb assholes, but they're actually committing hateful, physically violent acts.

      Delete
  5. Damn- I feel like I missed something....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not really, honestly. I posted something by a hardcore band who, unbeknownst to me, had member(s) who were accused of sexual assault a few years back. A few commenters let me know -- everyone was very nice about it -- I looked into it and decided to take it down because it made me feel icky. No real drama or anything like that.

      Delete
  6. YOU COWARD!!!! YOU CAVED IN TO LIBERAL SNOWFLAKES!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only publishing this because it HAS to be a joke. It's so hard to tell, especially on the internet.

      Delete
  7. Very impressed, somehow takes you by surprise...anymore?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Here's the Behold the Prophet NLSL record, not sure which Puffy Areolas album you're talking about?
    https://mega.nz/file/vaR1wKab#luXTf6fEn82fl_H85FpBP_pfYrLkP1m0MwlBGvy-UHQ

    ReplyDelete
  9. This record is a beauty, Wasn't aware of it remotely. Your magic.
    Gracias.

    ReplyDelete