Sunday, May 5, 2024

ROHIT - Trick (2013)


Last month -- in the evening, on Thursday, April 11 -- my friend Danny died. He had made plans with his girlfriend to go out, and he was supposed to meet her outside his apartment, but when she got there, he wasn't outside. Eventually, after not hearing from him, she went into his apartment and found him dead on the couch. He had one shoe on.

No one knows for sure what happened. One can certainly make assumptions or inferences, but his cause of death is still unknown, and depending on what his family chooses to do with the autopsy results, it might stay that way. The only thing I feel safe saying is that, whatever it was, it was sudden, and it was unintentional. He was putting his shoes on, getting ready to go out with his girlfriend. He had texted her half an hour before she found him. Danny didn't want to die.

The night of his memorial, I had a dream that I was driving to drop off this bag full of old 4-track recordings of his that he left at my house sometime during early Covid (that part is real). Just before I pulled up to his house I realized that I'd driven to the wrong house: I was at the first house where I had lived with him, way back in 2007-2008. So I think, "Wait a second, Danny doesn't live here. Where the fuck does Danny live?" And I'm all confused. Then, the thought hits me as I wake up with a stone in my throat: "Oh, that's right. Danny doesn't live anywhere anymore."

Danny and I were in a few bands together over the years, and ROHIT was where we really bonded. I had started it as a solo project, but midway through recording the first demo, I knew I had to bring him into it. I just knew he would get it. So I played it for him, and he loved it. ROHIT was now a two-piece. We used to play shows for largely indifferent crowds, and we'd walk away like, "holy shit, dude, we just fucking crushed it, we're so fucking good." We truly didn't care if other people liked it -- we were doing exactly what we wanted to. And he boosted me like no other bandmate ever had or has -- I have never felt as seen or respected, creatively, as I did working with Danny in those early years.

After a while, we decided we weren't heavy enough and we needed a bassist so we invited Ana, who was fresh off the boat from Sweden, to join. She was into it, and we immediately became the best version of ourselves. That's the version of the band that recorded Trick, which I still consider our definitive recording. We had zeroed in on what we were best at, which was an extremely minimal synthesis of Ildjarn, Eyehategod, and Swans. It's not for everyone, and it's really not the point of this post. Check it out if you like.

Over the first couple of weeks after Danny died, it felt I had something dead attached to me, like a phantom limb or a tumor or some kind of cold, gnawing growth. And I knew that I had to let it go or it would spread to the rest of my body, but I couldn't bring myself to, because that thing was Danny. And letting it go meant letting Danny die, and I wanted to hold onto him as hard as I could. Keep him from that void into which so many beautiful souls have already disappeared. Pull him back through the veil, downwards with the rain, through an open window into his living room. Safe again, on his couch, sliding that second shoe on.

We kinda grew apart over the years. We texted a lot, and I always figured we'd grow back together again some day. Start another band. Watch more horror movies and It's Always Sunny. Drink beers on the porch and argue about Neurosis. Listen to Bill Fay and watch the sun turn red and disappear behind the trees. There were times when we'd go months without seeing each other, and more than once, when we finally did hang out, he told me that he'd been reading my blog -- this stupid fucking blog -- because that way he could see that, even though we weren't together, I was still me, I was still funny, I was ok.

Maybe writing this, I'm hoping that he can still read it somehow. I love you, Danny. I'll miss you forever.




35 comments:

  1. Hi. I haven't read your blog in quite a long time now but just decided to check in and read this sad beautiful post I'm sorry for your loss and will check out your band along with catching up with one or two year's worth of your blog entries/cool music.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing this, so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm very sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I still don't know, it's almost midnight and I'm reading this. I think the worst pain of loss someone is holding on to the ghost of what could still be real, and sometimes everything can be. Danny really seemed to be one of those unforgettable people that you only meet once in your life. And when we find it, it ends up becoming our family. I'm so sorry for his loss, and I hope he can take one last look at your blog and smile at this blurry photo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey man, I'm very sorry for your loss. It's both brutal and gradually bittersweet how people we lose, migrate from being an integral part of our reality to being a part of our history, before becoming a radiant part of our personal mythology. It's brutal, but what becomes clearer and clearer over time is that they remain a part of our reality. We get to keep the relationship with them, the dialogue with who they were to us and what they still are, the role they played in our lives and how it evolved, and what their passing showed us. Like our vulnerability and how truly wide our capacity for love is.
    Grief is motherfucker. A process. But it really is all about love at the end, and by posting about Danny here you've made people from all over the world pause and feel something.
    I'm rambling...Sorry for your loss. May he rest in peace.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I guess we all assume that we're going to live forever - and then something like this happens, out of the blue. I was really affected by your heartfelt tribute to your lost buddy and thank you for sharing your memories of Danny with us. If nothing else I guess it serves as a reminder to all of us to live each day as though it's our last.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Truely sorry for your loss dude, I enjoy this blog, has given me so much great music and comfort in hard times.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My condolences for your loss

    ReplyDelete
  9. Been about 10 years since I lost my best pal Shawn. Still fucks me up. But the way it fucks me up has changed and morphed. The focus has shifted from dwelling on the could-have-beens to focusing on the actual times we had. From wishing I could change elements of the past to holding onto the way that past played out. From regret to acceptance -- and, on some very fine days, to celebration. Thank you for this beautiful remembrance of your friend. I came here for the music back in the day, but I stayed for your writing and it's posts like this that make me glad I stayed and continue to visit. I hope the road to acceptance is swift for you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So sad for you loss. I lost a friend to cancer last year, and those were four really hard months while he fought for his life. And when he left, I just felt so... alone? I just can't put my finger on it, but it just then I realized how much I loved him and how he mattered in my life. Abrazo grande.

    ReplyDelete
  11. There are really no words one can say or write that can give any level of comfort. Books are just words, music just noise. Because the pain you feel is so overwhelming and so raw. I hope with time you will see, that you had someone in your life who was so... compatible. Hold on! Music will be music again.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So sorry to hear about your friend; sincerest condolences to you and everyone feeling his loss.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So sorry. Between 2019 and 2022 I lost 5 close family members. One of them included my uncle who was more an older brother than uncle. He had the greatest impact on me as a music fan and performer. He showed me to live outside the box. He used to listen to glam and prog and when 1977 rolled around he jumped on punk. https://www.mixcloud.com/Amadeus99/uploads/His favorite three artists of all time were Jimi Hendrix, Joy Division and Beethoven. And I thought there was a clue there. My interests much like yours veer from one extreme to another. Thus influencing the podcast I did between 2019 and 2024.
    And a few months before he died he was making plans to move closer to where we were and being the so-called 'black sheep' he was never popular with the rest of the family, I was so looking forward to reconnecting after years of separation. I was so longing for it but before he made arrangements he died suddenly. A few months later my mum died. Anyhow keep on keeping on.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a fantastic, moving post. Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  15. i'm sorry for your loss, the story you shared here with us shows us he was a great friend for you. I know he'll be with you always. Thank you for sharing this with us.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'd imagine most people reading this blog are 40 and under. The OP mentions his friend died unexpectedly, then in the comments you've got more mentions of " died suddenly " and cancer. This has been becoming the new normal since 2021.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's fucking insane and heartbreaking. Danny was actually the one who called me back in December when another friend of ours died.

      Delete
  17. My condolences for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sincere condolences. Such a brave, honest and beautiful essay. Thank you for it, and all you do.

    ReplyDelete
  19. that's a shocking thing, and beautiful writing, I'm sorry to hear of your loss

    ReplyDelete
  20. So sorry for your loss. And what a beautiful tribute to a departed friend.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sorry for you, yet thank you for sharing your grief and giving others the space to do so here

    ReplyDelete
  22. Fuck man, life is too short. I'm so sorry for your loss. Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us. I hope the pain somewhat goes away soon and the good memories about you and Danny shine through, stronger than ever.

    ReplyDelete
  23. My condolences, dude. Really sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  24. "At first, when we truly love someone, our greatest fear is that the loved one will
    stop loving us. What we should fear and dread, of course, is that we won’t stop
    loving them, even after they’re dead and gone. For I still love you with the whole of
    my heart, Prabaker. I still love you. And sometimes, my friend, the love that I have,
    and can’t give to you, crushes the breath from my chest. Sometimes, even now, my
    heart is drowning in a sorrow that has no stars without you, and no laughter, and no
    sleep." - Gregory David Roberts, Shantaram

    ReplyDelete
  25. So sorry to hear of your loss. Best wishes to family and friends.

    ReplyDelete
  26. So sorry for your loss, Tim. Been thinking of you in the wake of Danny's passing.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Sorry for the loss. It will take time to move on and feel less pained about this unexpected event. Danny will be in your memories always and perhaps that is the best way to remember and honour him.

    ReplyDelete
  28. That fuckin sucks man. I'm wishing you well, and am deeply appreciative of you sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Mein Herz brennt for your sorrow. We collect our "travelers", they are an extension of ourselves - even sometimes just for a time - but they remain an indelible part of us without us (after all they are their own person, too). And sometimes we lose - they are gone and with it a moment of our shared life. You were together something more than as a one. Be in the moment and be in life.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I listened to your music and - although it is not what I would usually like - I paused, to think of the times when people connect and do something they enjoy. Precious moments. You have those memories. RIP Danny. Fly high.

    ReplyDelete
  31. My deepest condolences. I am so sorry for your loss. I thank you for sharing and celebrating the music and memories created by two beautiful souls.

    ReplyDelete
  32. My condolences. Very sorry for your loss. You have written a wonderful testimonial — of course that does not assuage anything. There is always this thing of wanting some form of closure and not wanting anything like closure. Thank you for the blog, and the music, very best wishes, Morten

    ReplyDelete