Thursday, December 5, 2019

B.J. Cole - The New Hovering Dog (1972)


Strange, often haunting, outsider-sounding (I think it's the vocals) prog/psych/folk rock from pedal steel master B.J. Cole, featuring members of King Crimson, Pentangle, and more. One of many albums that I've been waiting to post until I feel that I can do them justice with a proper writeup, but as the years roll by, I realize that it's just not gonna happen so I might as well just post 'em. Just read about it at Aquarium Drunkard.

Track listing:
1. The Regal Progression
2. Now You Seem Them, Now You Don't
3. The Cold Mountain Mariner
4. Up on the Hill Where They do the Boogie
5. You're Probably Lost
6. Five Pieces for Steel Guitar & Percussion
7. I Know Now
8. The East Winchley Tango

When you miss them, they're about

You might also enjoy:
Jerry Berkers -
Unterwegs (1972)
Pekka Pohjola -
Keesojen Lehto (1977)

11 comments:

  1. I am (perhaps too) anxiously awaiting your year-end lists..hope you have time this year dear spirit <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a little hard to believe that this record is from '72. It sounds like Eureka-era Jim O'Rourke (which now sounds like this record). Much thanks! Now I've got to track down a copy of "Transparent Music."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh goody. You've switched to Mega, which is utterly unusable. Oh well. One less site to keep bookmarked now. Nice knowing you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I switched over a year ago. We’ve developed such a beautiful relationship, you and I, I will miss you til my dying day.

      Delete
  4. Thanks very much! Nice reply to that shithead.

    ReplyDelete
  5. His playing on "Tales" by Uriah Heep blows this whole record away.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very Jim O'Rourke. And Radiohead nicked "Five Pieces" for "The Trickster," too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_lwC9xZBXQ Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Any blogger that knows about Cole's New Hovering Dog is exactly eclectic enough for me. Great blog.

    PS: If you like rare dark ambient darker than Lustmord then look up Primordial Lands Arise by SourceCodeX.

    Ciao.

    (Found you googling White Zombie's Make Them Die Slowly)

    ReplyDelete