Wednesday, April 20, 2022

KÁRYYN - The Quanta Series (2019)


A stunning piece of experimental electro-art pop from this LA-based composer-producer. Acrobatic, expressive vocals over abstract, glitchy production. The Quanta Series compiles a series of EPs released throughout 2018, but its flow as an album could not be better. From its depictions of emotional damage ("Ever"), courage ("Purgatory"), love and lust ("Binary"), and dystopian grief ("Cytokinesis"), this record spoke to me through one of the worst periods of my life, and ended up an all-time favorite.

Track listing:
1. Ever
2. Yajna
3. Purgatory
4. Binary
5. Ambets Gorav
6. Un-c2-See
7. Mirror Me
8. Cytokinesis
9. Aleppo
10. Today I Read Your Life Story 11:11
11. Segment & the Line


You might also enjoy:

3 comments:

  1. CartoonViolenceForCamilleSaint-SaensApril 24, 2022 at 7:39 PM

    This is GORGEOUS, thanks D_S!! Only 2 tracks in but it's reminding me of Both SOPHIE and FKA Twigs's LP1 (from 2014). Neither are perfect examples but that's what comes immediately to my sleep-deprived mind. With experimental "moments", this is the closest I can get to liking "pop" music -- but like it I do, a lot. Ms. John Soda or Laub are also good examples, not sure if either are still making music but they have more of an IDM angle on 'accessible sounds'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those first two are great comparisons for sure. I've never heard either of the latter, but I will be checking them out now. Glad you like this, it's legit one of my favorite records of the past decade.

      Delete
    2. CartoonViolenceForCamilleSaint-SaensApril 28, 2022 at 11:29 AM

      Thanks again for the share, I've been enjoying it immensely. If I can locate my copies of the artists I mentioned I'd be happy to send them to you; I sent ya about 4 albums a few years ago but sadly I don't think you had the chance to check my email w the links, I get it you are busy so it's fine! But yep I'd be happy to send them, due to a hdd failure a few yrs ago I need to re-import a ton of stuff, a task when you have more than a ton of stuff ;) My favorite of the bunch is Ms. John Soda's "
      No P. Or D.", great album. Here's the opening track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNkfghD7TKg -Cheers

      Delete