Tuesday, November 29, 2022

Tricky - Nearly God (1996)


Previously on OPIUM HUM:

Dark, impressionistic, trip-hop-adjacent magic from one of the true geniuses of the genre. The strangest and most abstract entry in Tricky's discography, Nearly God has been relegated to relative obscurity, due in part to the aforementioned strangeness, and because as far as I can tell it hasn't been reissued in any form, including on digital/streaming platforms. It also probably didn't help that he chose to release it under the moniker Nearly God instead of Tricky. I'm hoping that its lack of commercial availability means that no one's gonna bother lodging a copyright complaint because no one's actively making money off of it. Guest collaborators/vocalists include Björk, Neneh Cherry, Terry Hall, and, as always, Martina Topley-Bird.

Track listing:
1. Tattoo
2. Poems
3. Together Now
4. Keep Your Mouth Shut
5. I Be the Prophet
6. Make a Change
7. Black Coffee
8. Bubbles
9. I Sing for You
10. Yoga
11. Judas [bonus]
11. Children's Story [bonus]


More along these lines:

5 comments:

  1. I had no idea this is out of print. That seems so odd. Maybe Tricky no longer likes it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks, bro. bristol is a nice place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Prime cut Tricky material right here! This and Pre-Millenium Tension were the best records he ever did imo. Thanks for popping this up, my copy went missing years ago

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mate this od do gresy. I live MA & Tricku stuff. So well fit on at my depression meltdown this night. Thanks a lot.

    ReplyDelete