Saturday, November 5, 2022

Helium - The Magic City (1997)

Previously on OPIUM HUM:

One of the best 90s indie rock records, and arguably Mary Timony's magnum opus. Catchy, fantastical, guitar-driven, and elevated by a colorful cast of keyboards. This album is a certified classic in my mind, but after seeing a comment on a post I made a few weeks ago (which I could've sworn I responded to, sorry Mathias, I agree 100%) I've decided that not enough people know this band, and I have a responsibility to ensure that everyone hears them and The Magic City at least once.

Track listing:
1. Vibrations
2. Leon's Space Song
3. Ocean of Wine
4. Aging Astronauts
5. Medieval People
6. Lady of the Fire
7. Lullaby of the Moths
8. The Revolution of Hearts Pts. I & II
9. Ancient Cryme
10. Cosmic Rays
11. Devil's Tear
12. Clementine
13. Blue Rain Soda
14. Walk Away

Tell me why the sky is filled with birds

Also listen to:

3 comments:

  1. agree with everything you said- Helium was such an amazing and underheard band-
    I really love 'The Dirt of Luck' but agree this has to be their magnum opus-
    thnxs for bringing some attention to this incredible band/record, it's much deserved

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Helium. Like the other fans I can't believe they're not held in the same rare air so many other bands from around then seemed to have been able to achieve long after their heyday.

    Super hard for me to pick which of their albums is best. Mary really kept evolving the band from album/EP to album/EP

    ReplyDelete
  3. nice to see the love, here to point you all in the direction of Mary's latest project - playing bass with other DC vets in Hammered Hulls - just put out a cracking debut 'Careening' on Dischord. It's much more hardcore than Helium but check it, it's great.

    ReplyDelete