Saturday, March 4, 2023

Wayne Shorter - Odyssey of Iska (1970)


Previously on OPIUM HUM:

I'm a little late but: R.I.P. to one of the greatest jazz musicians to have ever lived. A brilliant piece of amorphous, simmering avant-garde jazz, Odyssey of Iska capped off a positively ridiculous 8-album run that rivals pretty much any other in music history. (Not that the albums before or after are bad by any means, but Night Music through Odyssey is, to me, just about as good as it gets.)

Track listing:
1. Wind
2. Storm
3. Calm
4. De Pois do Amor, O Vazio (After Love, Emptiness)
5. Joy


If you like this, listen to:

6 comments:

  1. Excellent, a real listening experience. Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The end of an era with Wayne's passing. This date is amazing not only in itself, but also in its having been so hard to find back in the day, and being so much better than 'Moto Grosso Feoio' which IIRC was recorded the same day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would enoy jazz so much more, if Sax was not the main lead Instrument most of the time..just not into it..

    ReplyDelete
  4. many thanks for the great shares; anon: you may have to get used to the sax if you wanna hear some of the most soul - affecting music of all time, however not too far away there is Miles Davis's masterpiece Get Up With It whose frontline is mainly guitar(s?) and trumpet - the first track is an all-time classic. I had an irrational. dislike of cymbals in my 20s - which, obviously, detracted from my enjoyment of nearly all music, but after changing the ratios(? not sure is right word) of the drugs I was taking this overcame the problem! happy listening!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never heard this recording and as I very much like Wayne Shorter's music I've got to give this a listen. Many thanks!

    Brian

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the share

    ReplyDelete