Monday, August 25, 2014

Pat Metheny & Lyle Mays - As Falls Wichita, So Falls Wichita Falls (1982)


Previously on OPIUM HUM:
Pat Metheny - Bright Size Life (1976)

Gorgeous ambient jazz from guitarist Pat Metheny and keyboardist/frequent Metheny collaborator Lyle Mays. The 20-minute-plus title track is an enigmatic, multi-suite masterpiece, and the rest of the album, while generally leaning a bit closer to center, is beautiful in a more easy-to-grasp way. Apparently, way back when, my mom used to put this record on when it was my nap time, and let it play as I slept. My dad played it for me last week, and it struck an oddly, almost biologically familiar chord with me -- gonna be honest, I got a lil' verklempt.

Track listing:
1. As Falls Wichita, So Falls Wichita Falls
2. Ozark
3. September Fifteenth (dedicated to Bill Evans)
4. It's for You
5. Estupenda Graça

The waves at night

3 comments:

  1. Just to quickly tell you what you already know - you have a very strange blog. To go from Bathory to Eddie Henderson, The Strawbs and Pat Metheny is, like, really strange. And I don't even think you're trying to be mind-boggling, just posting stuff you like, right ? I'm not downloading much (yes, I'm scared)
    but feel compelled to look (OK, I did do quite a productive trawl through your back pages). Anyway, thank you very much for it all. - Michael

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yeah, I just post stuff that I like. If I'm really digging something, and think that more people should hear it, I post it on here. Glad you're getting some enjoyment out of it.

      Delete
    2. This is the reason I check this blog several times a week. All the best blogs post a lot of unexpected stuff. I love the variety. Thanks, dr_spirt!!!!

      Delete