Saturday, November 8, 2014

Love Lost But Not Forgotten - Love Lost But Not Forgotten (2000)


Been on a bit of a nostalgia trip of late. It started with The Rentals putting out a new album, which led me to revisiting their older stuff, which led me to Matthew Sweet, then Tripping Daisy, then Hagfish (lol), and somehow I ended up at this savage, angsty as fuck album. Though I don't feel as though my entire world is crashing down around me nearly as often as I did back in high school, Love Lost But Not Forgotten makes for a handy simulation.

When I first randomly downloaded "Loathing" (off of Napster, bonus nostalgia!) I could not believe my ears. The over-the-top, high-pitched shrieking, the breakneck time signature changes, the almost smooth clean guitar breakdowns, the fact that the screeching continued over top of said smooth breakdowns -- it was complete insanity. I quickly tracked down the rest of the record and listened to it four million times.  Still ranks as one of my all-time favorite screamo (note: old definition) records.

Track listing:
1. Intro
2. Means to No End
3. Loathing
4. Save Me from the Outside World
5. Believe
6. Supine
7. Push Past
8. Cutting Away
9. Drown
10. Unfound
11. Swallow
12. Untitled

Headless, sleeping soundly

6 comments:

  1. I personally adore the word "screamo" i despise the hipster term "skramz"
    as it is far too moronic and douche-baggish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Discovered this only a few years ago but it's definitely a landmark in harshness and captivation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. uh oh, any chance of this being upped onto mega? many thanks for all that you introduce us to

    ReplyDelete
  4. Straight the fuck up slaps. Must have in the screamo collection. Be warned, guaranteed to clear a room of uninitiates. Huge thanks DEAR_SPIRIT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. This is probably what all screamo sounds like to people who don't like screamo.

      Delete