Wednesday, December 2, 2020

St Johnny - High as a Kite (1993)


Great American indie rock. Fuzzed-out guitars and straining vocals that are more than a little reminiscent of Dinosaur Jr., or Pavement's harder-edged moments, but there's a clear shoegaze influence at work as well. Honestly, I thought that I had posted either this or Speed Is Dreaming within the first year of starting this blog, but apparently not.

Track listing:
1. Go to Sleep
2. God in My Head
3. Highway
4. Velocity
5. My Father's Father
6. Matador
7. Black
8. Stupid
9. High as a Kite
10. Ashes and Slashes
11. Unclean


You should also hear:

4 comments:

  1. Thank you, I've never heard of this band!
    Would of been nice to hear it back in 2013, but now is better than never!
    -Britt

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember hearing them on the DGC Rarities comp with Nirvana, That Dog, Sonic Youth, Posies, etc. Y'know the hot flavors of the day swept up by that record label. Their track did have that sound like you described, an indie rock band with some good hard rockin riffs (almost considered a punk band?, not really).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the Westerman reccomendation. Sometimes the sound takes me to Beck terrain but there´s clearly something of their own.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have always loved this band, admittedly maybe more than I need to. When I first heard about them they were being slagged as just another Geffen signing, but I ordered the Go To Sleep 7" and have been on board since then. I think band member Tom Leonard is in the Major Stars, now.

    ReplyDelete