Saturday, June 19, 2021

Opiate - While You Were Sleeping (2002)


First off: I've been off the internet because my parents have been in town. I hadn't seen them since Christmas 2019, so it was absolutely wonderful, thank you for asking. Really wish we lived closer.

Second: I've been watching more TV than I normally would over the past, oh, year and a half or so, and I only recently noticed that one of the more prevalent trends in advertising is playing off of the viewer's anxieties around insomnia. Tons of ads in current rotation do this, and it's a real bummer because that means that focus testing/surveys/etc. have found that we as a society are having trouble sleeping, and it's probably because everyone's approximately one bad news story away from a panic attack at all times.

So with that in mind, here's a bit of glitchy, low-key, mostly downtempo IDM that is perfect both for sleeping AND lying in bed worrying about the future. Whatever fits your lifestyle. You'll recognize the opening track as having been sampled in "Undo", which might be my favorite Björk song.

Track listing:
1. 1% in 2/3 Speed
2. Srain
3. Late
4. Drømte mig en drøm
5. Last Dr. Pepper
6. GM Memory
7. Opto File 1
8. Insert


You'll also wanna hear:

5 comments:

  1. He also produced several tracks on Björk's "Vespertine" album. You should check out the Opiate album "Objects for an ideal home".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That and this one are the two Opiate records I've heard, love 'em both. I think he co-produced "Cacoon" and gets a writing credit on "Undo" because the sample is so central to the beat. Maybe there's more? I read an interview with Björk where she says that she produced the vast majority of Vespertine herself, and that the music press had fallen over itself trying to give the credit to her collaborators, especially Matmos. So I try to avoid doing that.

      Delete
    2. Thomas Knak didn't produce several tracks on Vespertine at all; he co-produced one and Opiate was sampled on another - you've got it exactly right. Throughout Bjork's career the music press have tried to give all of the production credit to the people she worked with, despite her collaborators confirming that this wasn't correct. It's really weird and must be insanely fucking annoying for her

      Delete
  2. I find so much great stuff I would never have heard otherwise on this blog.
    So I just wanted to say thanks for keeping one of the few bright spots left on the internet going.

    ReplyDelete