Thursday, October 7, 2021

The Arms of Someone New - Susan Sleepwalking (1985)


Enveloping, lo-fi sounds that land somewhere between a minimal, narcotized take on jangle rock, dream pop, early Cure, and ethereal darkwave. Metronome-like beats, chiming guitars, simple keyboard lines, and reverb-drenched vocals. Quiet appropriately, Susan Sleepwalking was eventually reissued by Projekt. This one's pretty new to me and I seriously can't recommend it highly enough.

Track listing:
1. St. Catherine
2. The Fisherman
3. Song for Krista
4. With Louise
5. The Turning
6. Seven Days from Now
7. Karen Said
8. Rainbows
9. Susan Slept Here
10. A Turner Sky


You should also hear:

4 comments:

  1. Thanx - sounds perfect for this cloudy lonely afternoon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always loved this band. One of Woody Dumas' bands from C'est la Mort days.

    Modeled after UKs 4AD, C'est la Mort released a number of albums influential to the Gothic & dream pop genres. Associated bands included: East Ash & Room Nine, who only appeared on C la M; bands such as Beautiful Pea Green Boat, Heavenly Bodies, The Arms of Someone New, & Area that went on to record for Third Mind & have seen re-release by Projekt on their Archive series.

    There is more over at my blog on a C'est la Mort mega post: https://nathannothinsez.blogspot.com/2015/05/cest-la-vie.html.

    Every Seventh Wave & Promise are both available there

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whoa, thanks for the heads-up, lots to dig into there! I came to this band via Area, but I don't think I've heard any of the others.

      Delete
  3. Stunned that this album is new to me, it's really fantastic. Thus far the mood (the atmosphere, not *exactly* the instrumentation) reminds me of some of Warren Defever's work - I love H.N.I.A. and all of Defever's projects so this is the best surprise. Even if I'm the only person who would make such a connection. -Regards

    ReplyDelete