Saturday, September 22, 2018

This Kind of Punishment - A Beard of Bees (1984)


Old-school New Zealand indie rock. To these ears, A Beard of Bees plays kinda like deconstructed, piano-based post-punk, but with a warm, lo-fi sound and, despite an abundance of melancholy, a sense of playfulness. And yes, those songs are supposed to end abruptly like that.

Track listing:
1. Prelude
2. From the Diary of Hermann Doubt
3. The Horrible Tango
4. Trepidation
5. East Meets West
6. Turning to Stone
7. Although They Appear
8. The Sleepwalker
9. An Open Denial

I'm sorry

You'd also enjoy:
Holy Toy -
Panzer and Rabbits (1984)
Telefilme -
Fade In, Fade Out (1995)

5 comments:

  1. This is a brilliant album.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful....only 30 seconds into Prelude. -Do you have any of Ben Frost's albums? I own them all but had a hdd failure and my physical copies are currently in storage. Only one I have w me at the moment is "By The Throat", one of my faves, and to my ears a very Opium_Hum type of record ;)

    I realize how much you post, so I hope you don't mind my asking about Frost. Understand entirely if you don't have the time!!

    As always an ocean of thank you's for being so incredibly generous with the constant sonic buffet.

    Cheers,

    Tz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE Ben Frost and have been legit meaning to post him forever, so this gives me a reason!

      Delete
  3. Had a feeling you were a fan! Well fk'n hooray then, whether you can post some in 1 month or 1 year I'll be rejoicing. Frost's body of work is good enough to for me to go through the storage unit, it's just that the discography is resting in one of dozens of sealed boxes totaling over 15,000 discs and ya some boxes I didn't label at all (genre) ugghhhhh

    Tz

    ReplyDelete