Saturday, November 4, 2023

Ludicra - Hollow Psalms (2002)


Got a request for this classic, which has apparently become hard to come by in this dead space we once called the blogosphere. Progressive black metal with a DIY punk heart. Still a fucking phenomenal record. Also worth mentioning: their drummer, Aesop Dekker, ran Cosmic Hearse, which more than any other blog inspired me to start this one. Relatedly, I started at a 9-to-5 recently -- still can't believe I landed what's essentially my ideal position after just about a month of looking in earnest -- so don't expect a resurgence of activity on here anytime soon.

Track listing:
1. Tomorrow Held in Scorn
2. Hollow Promise
3. The Final Lamentation
4. Userpent
5. Heaped Upon Impassive Floors
6. Damn the Night
7. Tragaedia
8. Awake to Grey


You should also listen to:

13 comments:

  1. Holy shit! Thanks so much! You made my year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on the 9to5. Saw Ludicra play the 924 Gilman when I drove a friend there to get his photo taken in front of the venue while we were in Oakland on holiday from Europe. Turned out Ludicra were playing that night. Amazing night and show. Cosmic Hearse was an amazing place. Definitely expanded my musical horizons a lot. As this place continues to do to this day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on the 9-5. The next 40 years will speed by don't worry!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on the new job man - you totally deserve it

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1. Congratulations on landing your job! 2. Thank you for still doing this blog, and posting music that deserves to be heard. I work at a record store in CA, and I still get turned on to stuff I have never heard of or seen because of you. 3. I loved Cosmic Hearse - occasionally see Aesop shopping/browsing in our store.
    Take care and looking forward to whenever you are able to post.
    sincerely,
    Kurt

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on the job and thanks as always for this mountain of kick ass music

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on the job and thank you for the blog!

    ReplyDelete
  8. congratulations! and yes, cosmic hearse was major, not just in what he shared, but his commentary and passion for music ... not at all unlike opium Hum!! all the best to you ....

    ReplyDelete
  9. …Wishing you the best from all your endeavors !

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your blog... I've been coming here for years. You've provided me with a lot of stuff I've been looking for, as well as stuff I'd never heard of. Congrats on the graduation, the next step in your life, and all that.

    Just curious: do you purchase more physical music media, or digital files? I get the impression that you're a physical media person like me (my stack of DVD/BD/4K discs grows exponentially each week).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for coming around! Spreading the gospel about music that I like is really the only reason I do this, so I'm happy to have helped.

      The only physical media I really buy is vinyl. I have a pretty massive record collection, and probably buy on average 1-2 records per week. I definitely prefer physical media in general and still have a sizable stash of CDs/DVDs/Blu-rays, but I don't really add to it unless it's something that I can't find online, as I just don't have the space.

      Delete