Friday, November 30, 2018

The Apples in Stereo - Her Wallpaper Reverie (1999)


Related:
Marbles - Marbles (1993)
The Apples in Stereo - Science Faire (1996)

The weirdest, most psychedelic Apples in Stereo record. Pretty sure this was the first Elephant 6-related album I ever heard, having snagged it from my cooler older sister's room in a quest for non-punk music to help me through a breakup with a high-school sweetheart. Seven song-songs interspersed with a series of instrumental vignettes and sketches. "Strawberryfire" is a piece of Beatles worship for the ages -- it's almost too on-the-nose, but it's executed so beautifully that all is quickly forgiven.

Relatedly: I've been going back and replacing old links with higher-quality rips -- including almost all of the Elephant 6 ones -- so enjoy. And I haven't listened to all of them, so let me know if there are any issues with them.

Track listing:
1. I. Her Room Is a Rainy Garden
2. II. Morning Breaks (And Roosters Complain)
3. The Shiney Sea
4. III. The Significance of a Floral Print
5. Strawberryfire
6. IV. From Outside, in Floats a Music Box
7. Ruby
8. V. She Looks Through Empty Windows
9. Questions and Answers
10. VI. Drifting Patterns
11. Y2K
12. VII. Les Amants
13. Benefits of Lying (With Your Friends)
14. Ruby, Tell Me
15. VIII. Together They Dream into the Evening

I would do anything to be anywhere else

You should also hear:
The Boo Radleys -
Giant Steps (1993)
Beulah -
When Your Heartstrings Break (1999)

10 comments:

  1. new links! what a generous soul you are. hopefully off subject requests do not offend...i can not for the life of me find section 25 "key of dreams"...heard it on youtube and i was most pleased...hope yer well

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got you: https://mega.nz/#!UTImEADS!-7BWehOj4PFE0p3oF600fTinm7tORP9vmj7EntSrqXc
      That's the CD version with the extra tracks. And I'm always open to requests -- if I have it, it takes like two minutes to upload so not at all an issue -- just don't hit me with some long, hyper-specific list of requests. Cheers!

      Delete
    2. Do you have any Fishmans albums, aside from Long Season? <3

      Delete
    3. @Melissa I do, will post when I get home

      Delete
  2. Thanks for all the Apples. The link on the Science Fair post is actually for Elf Power - The Winter is Coming. That's a great album too (!), but if you do have a link for SF, that'd be great. Either way, thanks for everything.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your post has me looking for my copy, haven;t heard this in years! Also going to dig out my Lucky Bishops records, definitely agreeable music for any fan of the Elephant 6 discography!

    Tz

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't this site exists... do you have anything from The Aluminum Group?

    ReplyDelete