Saturday, November 17, 2018

Catharsis - Passion (1999)


Previously on OPIUM HUM:
Catharsis - Samsara (1997)

Second and final LP by the great Catharsis. An absolute masterpiece of fiery, dramatic, psych-tinged metallic hardcore. Hearing the one-two punch of "Into the Eyeless Sockets of the Night" into "The Witch's Heart" for the first time as a very, very stoned 17-year old remains one of the greatest music-listening experiences of my life.

As great as Passion is, I'd be remiss if I didn't mention the penultimate track, "Deserts Without Mirages", an ambitious but probably misguided attempt stab at reggae that's been the subject of many a debate around the DEAR SPIRIT household over the years. I will say, I'm closer now to liking it than I've ever been. Regardless, it does set the listener up for "Sabbat (Dervish Dance)", the album's awe-inspiring climax and one of my absolute favorite pieces of heavy music.

Track listing:
1. Passion...
2. ...Obsession
3. Panoptikon
4. Into the Eyeless Sockets of the Night
5. The Witch's Heart (Live's Lost Too Soon - Or Too Late)
6. Threshold (To Enter, the Heart Must Break)
7. Duende (The Soil Is Closer Than the Sky)
8. Deserts Without Mirages
9. Sabbat (Dervish Dance)

This weapon will replace my tongue.
I will learn to speak through it.
And my poetry will now be written with blood.


Also of interest:
Damad -
Burning Cold (2000)
Majority Rule -
Interviews with David Frost (2001)

12 comments:

  1. Of all the bands I've never gotten to see but wish I had, these guys are near the top of that list. Dingledines rants notwithstanding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They lived in Chapel Hill for a long time when I was there. Catharsis Brian is an awesome guy.

      Delete
  2. Smoking marijuana is awesome! 420, blaze it! Epic bacon sriracha FTW! Excuse me while I dab!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did weed kill your parents or something

      Delete
    2. Sure sign of your increasing popularity dude - fucking douchebags in the comments section.

      Absolutely love your blog bro - keep on keeping on

      Delete
  3. Had to google ogg vorbis. I didn't, they're 320 mp3s

    ReplyDelete
  4. one of the most amazing albums of all music - first listened to it as a 17-year-old too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. One of my favourite records of all time. But I didnt understand why you didnt use to like "Deserts without mirages". Especially the moment when the vocals change: "YOUR FINAL BREATH WILL BE AN EASTERN WIIIIND" :') This line splits the earth in half

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Part of it is his vocals -- his low-end singing could use a lot of work. But moreover I think it's musically just kinda clumsy. Not a terrible song by any means, and I really appreciate it when bands swing for the fences like that, but the execution isn't quite there. Definitely has some very strong elements tho.

      Delete
  6. Man, great record... Another core great is Bloodlet, specially Eclectic & Entheogen. I haven't been able to find them online, could you upload them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never fully gotten into that band tbh but I do have all of their stuff sitting in my library waiting for the day that I can get past dude's vocals, so here ya go: https://mega.nz/#!ADJlhKRA!raNBWNNZLgrCHP9X9ac2NenvZoEs9dunLjj02I09Q_Q

      Delete
  7. Is the the author of Evasion zine bwah haha

    ReplyDelete