Thursday, January 9, 2020

Buddy Guy - Sweet Tea (2001)


My knowledge and enjoyment of the blues has always been largely limited to the rawest, most minimal form of the genre -- one man, one guitar, and 99 problems. But a while back I worked briefly with a blues aficionado, who put on Sweet Tea and said it was some of the greatest electric blues ever recorded. I didn't (and still don't) really know shit, but about two minutes into the hypnotic, menacing fuzz of "Baby Please Don't Leave Me", I was inclined to agree.

Track listing:
1. Done Got Old
2. Baby Please Don't Leave Me
3. Look What All You Got
4. Stay All Night
5. Tramp
6. She Got the Devil in Her
7. I Gotta Try You Girl
8. Who's Been Foolin' You
9. It's a Jungle Out There

I got something on my shoulder
Just waiting for you, babe


Also listen to:
Lightnin' Hopkins -
Lightnin' Strikes (1963)
Dr. John -
Babylon (1969)

12 comments:

  1. Thanks for the post. I don't listen to much blues but that shit is heavy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Check out Skip James and Mississippi John Hurt if you haven't. They don't sound like this, and they don't sound like each other, either, but they're really great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. To me Raw blues means R.L. Burnside, Junior Kimbrough...
    This is great stuff, its a pity that Buddy Guy had unleashed himself so late in his career!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perhaps you would like the Fat Possum Records discography. It started in 92 with a R.L. Burnside album. In the late 90s they were joint ventured with Epitaph Records.

    I remember a comp (2001) called Not the Same Old Blues Crap II that included some good full electric blues and country blues. It was even manufactured by Epitaph Europe!

    That label in the early 2000s became more indie folk (a Black Keys album), though is still an interesting all-around story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. One of my favorite records -- glad you're into it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just love the fact that the second guitar on this record is played by Jim "Squirrel Nut Zippers" Mathus.

    ReplyDelete
  7. One of my most prized possessions is the Charley Patton set that Revenant Records put out not long before Fahey passed away. It's a thing of beauty, and that's not even touching on the music. Old Mississippi blues is some of the most soul-slapping music you'll ever hear, especially Charley, Tommy Johnson and Blind Willie McTell.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Long time lurker (thanks for everything). I just downloaded this album, and while listening to Baby Please Don't Leave Me, I was moved to write. My god. I was even peripherally familiar with Buddy Guy's earlier works, but I've never heard anything quite like this track. Monstrous. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is superb, thanks for making me aware of it!

    ReplyDelete