Tuesday, January 7, 2020

Poison Girls - Hex (1979)


For every great 70s/80s peace punk record, there are twenty unlistenable 90s ones. And there is very little middle ground. This is why every time I post an anarchopunk record, I heap on the praise. And this one's no different: Hex, the first record by a band whose vocalist was a middle-aged mother (see: "Jump Mama Jump") at the band's inception, is explorative, even playful at times, but always weighed down by the demands of society, and always seething. As brilliant an anarchopunk record as you're likely to find.

I'm also including "Persons Unknown", their side of a split with Crass, because it was my introduction to Poison Girls way back in high school, I really, really like it, and I want you to hear it.

Track listing:
1. Old Tarts Song
2. Crisis
3. Ideologically Unsound
4. Bremen Song
5. Political Love
6. Jump Mama Jump
7. Under the Doctor
8. Reality Attack

HEX. HEX. HEX. HEX. HEX. HEX. HEX. HEX. HEX. HEX. HEX. HEX. HEX. HEX. HEX. HEX. HEX. HEX. HEX. HEX. HEX. HEX. HEX. HEX. HEX. HEX. HEX. HEX. HEX. HEX. HEX. HEX. HEX. HEX. HEX. HEX. HEX. HEX. HEX. HEX. HEX. HEX. HEX. HEX. HEX. HEX. HEX. HEX. HEX. HEX. HEX. HEX. HEX. HEX. HEX. HEX. HEX. HEX. HEX. HEX. HEX. HEX. HEX. HEX. HEX. HEX. HEX. HEX. HEX. HEX. HEX. HEX. HEX. HEX. HEX. HEX. HEX. HEX. HEX. HEX. HEX. HEX. HEX. HEX. HEX.

More like this:
Omega Tribe -
No Love Lost (1983)
Lost Cherrees -
All Part of Growing Up (1984)

2 comments:

  1. I'm pleased to acknowledge that everything you said about this record is true.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm from Russia. I also heard "Persons Unknown" first and it's incredibly beautiful!

    ReplyDelete