Thursday, January 18, 2024

Percy Jones Ensemble - Propeller Music (1990)


Previously on OPIUM HUM:

Drum machine, noodling fretless bass, synthetic-ass-all-hell keyboards, fragmented guitars -- generally woozy, slightly unsettling, 100% nerdy fusion. Midway through, vocals enter the mix, and the album morphs into a mid-era Gary Numan record. I listen to this by myself on headphones, and I think, "damn, this is so fucking rad, I wish all music was this weird;" I put this on a stereo with someone else in the room, I feel like a degenerate and a pervert.

Track listing:
1. $10,000 Bookshelf
2. Heidelberg Switch
3. Barrio
4. Panic - Disorder
5. Count the Ways
6. Turn Around
7. Slick
8. Slack
9. All for a Better Way
10. Looking for a Sign of New Life
11. Razorville
12. K2


If you like this, you should hear:

3 comments:

  1. When this record came out, he did some live shows to promote it, including one at a small jazz club in Cambridge MA (three blocks from the Charles River, but not close enough to either Berklee or the famous colleges to attract much of an audience). Before the doors opened, he'd spilled drops of some solution on the floor. By show time the liquid had evaporated, and when audience members walked in, they made sharp noises when they stepped on the residue-- it was nitrogen triiodide, a contact explosive.

    The show was essentially this record, with him accompanying and soloing over all the MIDI instruments in his road case. I thought it was terrific, but as a bass player myself, I admit I was predisposed to get into it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can completely relate to this private vs public listening dichotomy for bent music. This sounds pretty rad to me -- thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. SO TRUE:
    "I listen to this by myself on headphones, and I think, "damn, this is so fucking rad, I wish all music was this weird;" I put this on a stereo with someone else in the room, I feel like a degenerate and a pervert."
    When I listen to Death Metal around other people I feel like a psycho. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete