Monday, May 13, 2013

Gary Numan - Warriors (1983) + Strange Charm (1986)


OK, so as you may or may not know, shortly after his unassailable Machine trilogy (Replicas, The Pleasure Principle, + Telekon) Gary Numan's discography gets kinda spotty. It's hard to say what drove him to add slap bass, wailing saxophones, diva backing vocals, and generally SNL-y elements to his sound, but the results are truly bizarre and, for many, quite off-putting. If the idea of dystopian, synth-based pseudo-funk is appealing to you, proceed.

Track listing:
-Warriors-
1. Warriors
2. I Am Render
3. The Iceman Comes
4. This Prison Moon
5. My Centurion
6. Sister Surprise
7. The Tick Tock Man
8. Love Is Like a Clock Law
9. The Rhythm of the Evening
-Strange Charm-
1. My Breathing
2. Unknown and Hostile
3. The Sleeproom
4. New Thing from London Town
5. I Can't Stop
6. Strange Charm
7. The Need
8. This Is Love

Assassination of the voice of God
I don't know if I can do it



6 comments:

  1. "dystopian, synth-based pseudo-funk"

    aaahhh, it's not quite my usual table but if it means I don't have to sit near those awful pierced nihilists then I'll gladly try to make small talk with the Michael Winner of post-punk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both albums by G Numan are gone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally agree on this "unassailable Machine trilogy (Replicas, The Pleasure Principle, + Telekon)"!

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you like Pleasure Principle and Telekon, be sure to check out "For Future Reference" by Dramatis if you haven't already. Dramatis is Numans' band on those albums. It almost feels like Telekon Part Two at times but with the occasional blatant pop song which somehow renders the proceedings even stranger. Gary does appear on one typically epic track. (The album has been misleadingly released as a numan album "The Dramatis Project," which is how I discovered it.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. My god, that cover is incredible! I'm speechless, DLing now

    ReplyDelete