Monday, August 6, 2018

Rival Schools - United by Fate (2001)


Melodic post-hardcore led by Walter Schriefels (of Quicksand and Gorilla Biscuits, among others.) Why do people jock Quicksand so hard but this band -- one that I mistook for Quicksand when my friend played it for me -- gets practically no love? Great question. One possible explanation is because people are dumb and the world is shit. Another might be because the listener has to really pay attention to these songs to notice how great they are -- a surface listen might reveal competent but faceless indie rock. No matter the reason, I expect more from you.

Track listing:
1. Travel by Telephone
2. Everything Has Its Point
3. High Acetate
4. Undercovers On
5. Good Things
6. Used for Glue
7. World Invitational
8. The Switch
9. Holding Sand
10. My Echo
11. Favorite Star
12. So Down On
13. Hooligans for Life

Good things are coming our way
I know they always have


If you like this, you should hear:
Shudder to Think -
Get Your Goat (1992)
U.S. Maple -
Purple on Time (2003)

2 comments:

  1. Great one! Love this album. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Generally music like this sounds like something I would really have liked in high school, but would have grown out of (I don't mean that in an elitist, condescending way, my musical tastes just shifted). But this album is really great. Thanks again for pushing my folky, ambient, and blackened musical boundaries with music like this.

    ReplyDelete