Sunday, August 26, 2018

The Caretaker - A Stairway to the Stars (2002)


Previously on OPIUM HUM:
The Caretaker - Selected Memories from the Haunted Ballroom (1999)

Leyland Kirby's second album as The Caretaker takes place in the same haunting world as the first, in which old, forgotten records are dusted off and given new, unsettling life as heartbroken ghosts, stuck pursuing a golden age of wine and romance that no one else seems to remember.

Track listing:
1. We Cannot Escape the Past
2. Cloudy, Since You Went Away
3. Emptiness
4. Consigned to a Yesterday
5. Masquerade Ball
6. Malign Forces of the Occult
7. On the Edge of Breakdown
8. Robins and Roses
9. Date with an Angel
10. It's All Forgotten Now
11. Each Today Doesn't Lead to a Tomorrow
12. Home
13. Friends Past Re-United
14. A Stairway to the Stars

I saw your face in a dream

Also listen to:
raison d'être -
Residuality (1993)
Murderous Vision -
The Times Without Gods (2002)

7 comments:

  1. Really enjoying this, thanks. Going to check out his other releases.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well you’re in luck cause he has a pretty extensive discography and it’s all great. Make sure to check out the stuff he puts out as The Stranger and under his own name

      Delete
    2. Also let me know if you can't find something, I probably have it

      Delete
    3. I came across a tribute to him called "Memories Overlooked". Bought his last release off BC, also. Thanks, again!

      Delete
  2. I haven't heard this (yet) but the first Caretaker was, for me, like the ambient sound coming out of the walls of the Overlook Hotel in one of my favourite films - The Shining.

    Thanks for this post, you've piqued my interest in Leyland Kirby's other projects.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why yes I do: https://www19.zippyshare.com/v/CYK6XDIP/file.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. He just recently put up his "Death Of Rave' albums in their complete form (plus another volume of extra's) on his Bandcamp for free which I lost my shit about. I think he's taken those down now but there's an excellent album of his called 'We, so tired of all the darkness in our lives' up as p.w.y.l.

    I'm still absorbing 'Everywhere at the End Of Time'. Such an EPIC piece of work.

    ReplyDelete