Wednesday, January 23, 2019

Beulah - Handsome Western States (1997)


Previously on OPIUM HUM:
Beulah - When Your Heartstrings Break (1999)

Sweet, fuzzy, lo-fi indie rock. I saw Beulah sometime around late 2001 (maybe 2002) and my big takeaway, other than it being a really great show, was that I'd never seen a band less concerned about looking cool. Truly endearing, and with a seemingly endless arsenal of bittersweet hooks to match.

Track listing:
1. Maroon Bible
2. Law Low for the Letdown
3. Disco: The Secretaries Blues
4. The Rise and Fall of Our Hero's Reward
5. I Love John, She Loves Paul
6. Slo-Mo for the Masses
7. I've Been Broken (I've Been Fixed)
8. Queen of the Populists
9. Shotgun Dedication
10. Rust with Me
11. Delta
12. Dig the Subatomic Holdout #2

If it's any consolation
Remember we're fucked up together
So far


Also listen to:
Circulatory System -
Circulatory System (2000)
Elf Power -
The Winter Is Coming (2000)

2 comments:

  1. And cover art resembling a Midwestern beer label from 1968. Pretty hep.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love love love love love love love love this band so much

      Delete