Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Malcolm McLaren - Fans (1984)


One of the strangest records of which I'm aware. I first heard Fans in my dad's car when I was in high school, and while I really wanted to like it, because it seemed really smart, and because of McLaren's ties with the Sex Pistols, it was just too fucking weird. (Plus, the Sex Pistols were sellouts, man.) Gated drums, slap bass, twinkly synths, and other indicators that Fans was produced in the 1980s provide the musical backdrop for the vocals, which make apparent the album's raison d'être: treating famous opera songs to 80's R&B/dance makeovers. Yup. I'm not sure that it's any good, but it's a mindfuck that any music fan should experience at least once.

Track listing:
1. Madam Butterfly
2. Fans
3. Carmen
4. Boys' Chorus
5. Lauretta
6. Death of Butterfly

Donkey-donkey-dough

3 comments:

  1. I know, just a joke. Imagine the "man" at the end of that sentence being drawn out like a hippie would say it. Like, "maaaaaan."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi. Please accept my request. Fans by Malcolm McLaren. Awesome blog. Thank you for being here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please accept request for this. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete