Sunday, December 16, 2018

KMFDM - Virus (1989)


A 4-song EP of groundbreaking electro-industrial-pop. Martial industrial rhythms, butt-rock guitars, pulsing synths, and a varied, male-and-female vocal approach that touches on punk, R&B, and quasi-hip-hop. I realize that KMFDM has fallen waaaay out of fashion (not sure if they were ever that 'fashionable' in the first place) but I will always back their early stuff, which, outside of kicking ass, includes some of the strongest, most instantly-iconic album art in the history of pop music. On a personal note, this is the first slab of vinyl I ever owned, having been gifted it by a record-nerd homie before I even owned a record player.

Track listing:
1. Virus
2. More & Faster
3. Don't Blow Your Top
4. High & Geil

Bury the future

More along these lines:
Hilt - Call the Ambulance
(Before I Hurt Myself)
(1989)
Lard -
The Last Temptation of Reid (1990)

3 comments:

  1. KMFDM has always been pure cheese. I have a high tolerance for cheese. That's why I love danzig so much. Also a fun fact, I wore a kmfdm shirt for my class picture in 1996 and the school blurred out the artwork.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good call. I tracked this down on CD in the 90s when I saw "Johnny Mnemonic" and heard the single version on the soundtrack, and it rocked even harder than the version on 'Naive,' which I already owned. It wasn't until years later that I learned that they boosted big chunks of the lyrics wholesale from Frank Zappa. KMFDM was awesome in that era; nowadays it seems like they've just sort of settled into doing what they do and churning out what just sounds to me like the same album over and over again every couple of years. But I guess they've earned the right to go out to pasture a little at this point. As far as their artwork, the guy who does their album covers put out a series of weird illustrated pulp magazines at one point, eponymously titled "BRUTE!" They're worth checking out, for the artwork alone if not for the filthy, bonkers pulp parody stories; I've found scans online before, although I don't think I have them any longer. While you're otherwise usually opening my eyes to great music I'd never heard of before, it's always a fun trip down memory lane when you post 90's industrial stuff. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Def one of their stronger releases. I love all earlier KMFDM though, they were a part of the soundtrack that was my early teens. I remember the first time I heard "Godlike" out in an actual club and it was fucking epic (similar experience was hearing "Thieves" (ya, Ministry) at this same club - actually that became such a mosh pit - it was just glorious). Same with hearing tracks from MBM's 99% or dope white-label Nitzer Ebb remixes of Fun to be Had, or The Gruesome Twosome.... and so onnnnnnnn

    Tz

    ReplyDelete