Monday, December 17, 2018

Raate - Demo I (2004)


Raw Finnish depressive black metal. Raate came out of the gates swinging, taking Burzum-worship to a new level in the process. You know how sometimes a company is unable -- due to budgetary constraints or the band refusing -- to secure the rights to a song that they want to use for a commercial, so instead of doing the ethical thing and finding another song, they just hire some hack to make a song that sounds exactly like it? (Take, for example, this Volkswagen commercial that directly, undeniably rips off this Beach House song, which Volkswagen had unsuccessfully tried to buy the rights to use.) Minus the commercial aspect, that's essentially what the beginning of Demo I does to the opening track of Hvis Lyset Tar Oss. I swear it's the same song, just with some notes jumbled around. The rest of the demo continues in similarly Burzum-y fashion, but way less on-the-nose.

Track listing:
1. Enne
2. Rauniotorni
3. Halki Kuolleen Maan
4. Kaskeajan Laulu
5. Aamu Koittaa
6. Hävitys
7. Tuhkaa

Goddamn orc won't stop crying

More like this:
Wigrid -
Hoffnungstod (2002)
Korium -
Strážcovia Hradu (2015)

3 comments:

  1. Burzum worship is fine by me! Btw have you seen the film Lords of Chaos yet? I've read mixed reviews and it sounds ridiculous to me that that Jack Kilmer guy is playing Dead, same with Rory Culkin as Euronymous. Guess I shouldn't be a judgmental dick.. Also have never seen "Until the Light Takes Us" from 2008 - I'm sure Varg is quite charming on film hehe. Since I'm fkn manic & an insomniac 99% of the time guess I'll try to download it now.

    Oh, thx for the share - I'm sure it's.................first raate (bwa ha ha)

    Tz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haven't seen Lords of Chaos, honestly had forgotten that it exists, kinda wanna check it out as I'm sure it's good for a few laughs at least. Until the Light Takes Us had some good footage but overall it felt pretty entry-level, like a filmed version of the Wikipedia entry on black metal, but less informative. It is always fun to watch Fenriz talk tho.

      Delete
  2. There's also the ETERNAL FLAME OF GEHENNA documentary that's focused on Finnish BM https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcXxbZhkBMQ --PC

    ReplyDelete