Thursday, August 1, 2013

Cephalic Carnage - Halls of Amenti (2002)


Halls of Amenti is bizarro death metal outfit Cephalic Carnage's excursion into doom metal. Thankfully, it's devoid of any of CC's trademark shitty jazz breakdowns/quirky"humor" that prevent me from fully endorsing some of their otherwise stellar full-lengths. One single, crushing, ever-shifting composition that blew my goddamn mind when it came out, and still sounds fresh in 2013. I love how the drummer (clearly a gigantic fucking spazz) can't keep still, so he throws in all these weird little accents and fills that wouldn't occur to your average doom metal drummer.

Also, I remember the CD liner notes said something cryptic along the lines of, "More to come...", leading me to believe that they were going to do more in this style. A decade and half later, nothing. Boooo.

Track listing:
1. Halls of Amenti

No chance to thrive

1 comment: