Saturday, January 28, 2017

William Onyeabor - Crashes in Love (1977)


Afro-funk legend William Onyeabor's perfect debut. Call-and-response vocals, rich horn-section melodies, and killer solos from every instrument in the band's arsenal, all as buoyant, percussion-heavy grooves stay locked in a mesmerizing state of rhythmic nirvana. If everyone in the world listened to Onyeabor at least once a week, we'd achieve world peace within a couple of months.

Track listing:
1. Something You'll Never Forget
2. Ride On Baby
3. Crashes in Love
4. Heaven and Hell
5. Jungle Gods

I don't know why
You make me get crazy


To keep riding these vibes, try:
Mulatu Astatke -
Mulatu of Ethiopia (1972)
King Sunny Ade & His
African Beats - Aura (1984)

3 comments:

  1. R.I.P., Mr. Onyeabor!
    Thank you, thank you, thank you for all the very many beautiful and diverse tunes, OPIUM HUM!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This record is life-changing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If this guy is anywhere near as good as Fela, then I'm in for a treat. Thanks, Rory, taxi man, Dublin. (the reason I mention I'm a taxi man is that I drive through the night and am constantly in need of fresh sounds from across the decades and people like you are kind enough to feed that need. Thank you

    ReplyDelete