Friday, January 6, 2017

Jocelyn Pook - Deluge (1997)


Chill-inducing, haunting choral pieces by English composer/musician Jocelyn Pook. Powerfully mournful vocals, ominous keys, violin, viola, and a few well-placed samples create a nearly overwhelming sense of foreboding and sorrow. Truly stunning stuff.

Track listing:
1. Requiem Aeternam
2. Indigo Dream
3. Oppenheimer
4. Thousand Year Dream
5. Forever Without End
6. Blow the Wind - Pie Jesus
7. Migrations
8. Goya's Nightmare
9. Backwards Priests
10. Forever Without End (Solo Voices)
11. La Blance Traversée
12. Flood

Bones screaming in bodies

If you like this, you should listen to:
Lisa Gerrard -
The Mirror Pool (1995)
Mono & World's End Girlfriend -
Palmless Prayer /
Mass Murder Refrain
(2005)

8 comments:

  1. Thank you for your eclectic but brilliantly curated blog. I've been visiting regularly for a few years but yesterday I actually started going through the Tag list to see what I've missed. Turns out it was a lot. I was surprised at how many things I'd forgotten I got from this site that are now regular listens and current passions. Just wanted you to know the always surprising features are appreciated and enjoyed. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This isn't in my normal wheelhouse at all, and I really, really enjoyed it. Thanks a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Many thanks for this - I know the Flood album that came after this, due to the Eyes Wide Shut link, but never got round to Deluge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah same. Those tracks on EWS soundtrack are just incredible

      Delete
  4. Thank you so much! I've been looking for more of her work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Could you pls re-up in MEga? Zippy is NLA in several countries... Thanks - Carlos

    ReplyDelete