Sunday, February 17, 2019

The Muffs - Happy Birthday to Me (1997)


Pretty much perfect SoCal power-pop-punk. Simple, old-school rock 'n' roll chord progressions shot through with thick alt rock guitars and punk energy, and carried by vocalist Kim Shattuck's gravelly yet sugary-sweet delivery. Think a snottier Weezer, circa Blue Album. It kinda seems like someone with good taste at Reprise tried really hard to make The Muffs famous -- I first heard them on the Angus soundtrack, they were also featured in Clueless and a few others -- but the world just wasn't ready, I guess.

Track listing:
1. Crush Me
2. That Awful Man
3. Honeymoon
4. All Blue Baby
5. My Crazy Afternoon
6. Is It All Okay?
7. Pennywhore
8. Outer Space
9. I'm a Dick
10. Nothing
11. Where Only I Could Go
12. Upside Down
13. You and Your Parrot
14. Keep Holding Me
15. The Best Time Around / New Jazz Daddy-O [hidden track]

And I will read your mind instead
And I could tell you that you are very dead


You'd probably also dig:
The Queers -
Love Songs for the Retarded (1993)
that dog. -
Totally Crushed Out! (1995)

2 comments:

  1. This is a fantastic album. I hope newcomers enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely consider myself a newcomer, and I thoroughly enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete