Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Ascension - Consolamentum (2010)


German black metal. Due to their fondness for dissonance and theistic Satanism, and their decidedly unorthodox, subtly psychedelic approach to black metal, one might compare Ascension to some of the usual French suspects (Deathspell Omega, Aosoth, maybe Blut Aus Nord.) Throw Consolamentum on the next time you have some friends over to drink mysterious muddy potions, slit each others' wrists, and invoke dark otherworldly powers.

Track listing:
1. Open Hearts
2. Grey Light Sibling
3. Rebellion Flesh
4. Grant Me Light
5. Fire and Faith
6. Amok
7. Angel of the Burning Sun
8. Consolamentum

So dance, my child
Dance with wrath and pride
Dance, my child
Towards his eternal light

8 comments:

  1. Hmmm, not bad...you know this?
    Traumatic Voyage from Germany

    http://youtu.be/6KK9kccXpg0

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whoa, this is right up my alley... just the right mix of traditional and demented. Thanks a lot for the recommendation!

      Delete
  2. Buried at Sea:

    http://youtu.be/bJoPDHoXW74

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, this I am aware of. I've argued that the beginning of this song is the heaviest thing ever recorded. Thanks, though.

      Delete
  3. Hmmmm...... what about..... Black Pyramid?

    http://youtu.be/jM5G5pDj5CQ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds pretty great. I can sense the presence of beards a little bit more than I'd like, but it's a cool sound nonetheless. Thanks again!

      Delete
  4. You are welcome! it's quite difficult to find nice bands that DON't sound like Black Sabbath you know :-) (As for your updates my email is my nick with @gmail.com added, saves me from digging through the blog..ahem)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, I guess that email I sent yesterday went to the wrong person! Well, I think I got it right this time, check yr email.

      Delete