Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Steve Tibbetts - The Fall of Us All (1994)


The Fall of Us All is the album that introduced me to the wondrous world of Steve Tibbetts, and it's still probably my favorite in his catalogue, as well as his darkest, most intense album. The first half of the album is all thunderous percussion, wailing guitars, and wordless choral vocals, then the bottom falls out, and the music slow burns through to the brilliant, wandering "Travel Alone".

Track listing:
1. Dzogchen Punks
2. Full Moon Dogs
3. Nyemma
4. Formless
5. Roam and Spy
6. Hellbound Train
7. All for Nothing
8. Fade Away
9. Drinking Lesson
10. Burnt Offering
11. Travel Alone

Burning temple

7 comments:

  1. The world of Steve Tibbetts is opening up to me. Thanks for your efforts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. cant access link because of malware warning!

    I have a question - do you have any recommendations for soft, melodic piano playing? I've been making a piano playlist with gorgeous piano pieces, including people like Ralph Towner and Anat Fort (ECM mainstays), Vince Guaraldi etc.
    There's a song by pianist Marcin Wasilewski called "Austin", which could possibly be one of the most gorgeous piano melodies ever written. If you have any recommendations to previously uploaded stuff, or even stuff yet uploaded, please let me know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the malware warning is your issue as a user ... you have to learn how your computer setup interacts with the somewhat-shady file hosting sites.

      Delete
  3. have you heard the albums he did with Chöying Drolma? I haven't but they are meant to be great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly have. They're as beautiful and hypnotic as anything he's put out. Definitely on the less percussive, more ambient side. Maybe I'll turn this into a post? In the meantime:
      https://mega.nz/file/B64TkTLL#rdV-y3E8KA26PNSUg_zncopvKUEO3nEtwsDJ0ygnbCo

      Delete
  4. I, too, got into ST with TFoUA, which I still love, but I probably like the Choying Drolma albums - especially the first one - more these days. Still, anything of Steve's is well worth a listen. Thanks for this, and all your posts...I've found so much good music through this site.

    ReplyDelete