Monday, October 9, 2017

Khanate - Things Viral (2003)


Related:
O.L.D. - The Musical Dimensions of Sleastak (1993) + Formula (1995)
Sarin - Nihilist (1996)
Burning Witch - Crippled Lucifer (Seven Psalms for Our Lord of Light) (1998)
Lotus Eaters - Alienist on a Pale Horse (2001)
Khlyst - Chaos Is My Name (2006)
KTL - 2 (2007)
Sunn O))) - ØØ Void (2000) + Dømkirke (2008)
Sunn O))) - Rehearsal Demo Nov 11 2011 (2012)

Deconstructed, minimal drone-doom mastery. The first time I ever heard Things Viral was at a bar in Florida, and I remember thinking that it was the most fucked-up music I'd ever heard playing in a bar. Drawn-out, dissonant, half-distorted chords, humming feedback, razor-sharp drums, and legendarily unhinged vocals from Alan Dubin.

As well-known as they are, I've always felt that Khanate doesn't get enough credit. To me, the entirety of their output is some of the most advanced, unsettling heavy music in existence, yet tons of people act as though the only really good thing they ever did is the self-titled. BULL. SHIT. Things Viral, and their other two records for that matter, are as anxiety-inducing and terrifying as any horror movie, and that's a pretty remarkable achievement.

Track listing:
1. Commuted
2. Fields
3. Dead
4. Too Close Enough to Touch

I'm gonna put you under
Under an open field


You should also listen to:
Otesanek -
Otesanek (2004)
Bloody Panda -
Summon (2009)

10 comments:

  1. hate to be that guy, but actually alan dubin is on vocals. credit where it's due! also, great blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for being that guy, I always forget that

      Delete
    2. I remember back in the myspace days his profile name was "Alan Dubin (Khanate vocalist)"

      Delete
  2. GRACIAS !!! larga vida a este BLOG!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. great share - alan dubin's also in gnaw who have a fucken killer album out cutting pieces - it slays - description is not my best quality, just ccheck it out. invisible oranges are streaming it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Man. That is a bar I would love to hang out in. I always thought it sounded like if Gollum had a band. "In the corner - My precioussss - I made it for you !"

    ReplyDelete
  5. you have the best blog in the entire web-universe, your selection is impeccable and your small commentaries are always so good to read, thank you so so so so much

    ReplyDelete