Thursday, January 22, 2015

Nest - Trail of the Unwary (2007)


Ethereal Finnish neofolk. Lush keyboards and cavernous percussion create a dark, atmospheric backdrop for the shimmering sound of the kantele, a traditional Finnish stringed instrument on which Nest's songs, I gather, are written. Vocals rarely appear, and are limited to throaty whispers.

Track listing:
1. Moonbow
2. Claw and Fang
3. Kontio
4. Hunt
5. The Mire
6. The Turning of the Tides
7. Across the Waters

Intent on dealing death

4 comments:

  1. Gorgeous album.....I dunnoo if I got it from you or someplace else, I just happened to notice I had it in itunes and just finished playing it. I do love the sound of the kantele, but as ethereal as it all can be, I find that it becomes a bit long in the tooth by the time one gets to the last 2 tracks; there's absolutely no relent, and next time I think I'll listen up to "Hunt" or "The Mire". Imo the first three tracks are the finest. Sometimes there is "too much of a good thing" I suppose. Somehow I never tire of cymbalom/hammered dulcimer though.

    Still this album is very fine, and not unlike a magical journey through dark, ancient forests with wood nymphs & fireflies under a goddess moon :)

    Tz

    ReplyDelete