Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Julee Cruise - Floating into the Night (1989) + The Voice of Love (1993)


Two essential albums of ambient, lounge-y vocal jazz. Angelic, reverb-drenched vocals drift over sparse drums, lush synths, and jazzy horns. Written by David Lynch and Angelo Badalamenti, music from these albums was featured in the show Twin Peaks (the show's opening theme is an instrumental version of "Falling") as well as in the movie, Twin Peaks: Firewalk with Me, and as one might expect, it's quite beautiful and melodramatic, but subtle and not-so-subtle instances of harmonic dissonance make it as skin-crawling as it is soothing. I cannot recommend these albums enough, ESPECIALLY if you're a fan of Twin Peaks/David Lynch who has somehow slept on them.

Track listing:
-Floating into the Night-
1. Floating
2. Falling
3. I Remember
4. Rockin' Back Inside My Heart
5. Mysteries of Love
6. Into the Night
7. I Float Alone
8. The Nightingale
9. The Swan
10. The World Spins
-The Voice of Love-
1. This Is Our Night
2. Space for Love
3. Movin' In on You
4. Friends for Life
5. Up in Flames
6. Kool Kat Walk
7. Until the End of the World
8. She Would Die for Love
9. In My Other World
10. Questions in a World of Blue
11. The Voice of Love


Was it me?
Was it you?

17 comments:

  1. Lovely. Had it, lost it, found it again. Thank you x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks.... Thanks.... Thanks.... Thanks.... Thanks.... Thanks.... Thanks.... Thanks.... Thanks.... Thanks.... Thanks.... ....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you soo much~

    ReplyDelete
  4. I’m listening to TVOL, it’s awesome. Reminds me of Kruger and Dorfmeister

    ReplyDelete
  5. Correction: I’m listening to The Art Of Being A Girl, ha! Still awesome though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Replies
    1. Oh shit, no, I wasn't even aware of them. Just started downloading "Dreams Top Rock", is that the one? Are there more?

      Delete
  7. Gracias por el aporte, gran trabajo el que realizan!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey dude! zippy is dead :) repost this hell pleaze, thanks bro

    ReplyDelete
  9. merci beaucoup vous êtes the best ! Julee Cruise for ever my friend

    ReplyDelete