Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Exorcist - Nightmare Theatre (1986)


Occult speed metal with proto-black metal tendencies. Yup, it's a lot like Venom. It's campy, the solos are fucking bananas, the vocals are badass and multifaceted, and there's some sort of overarching story about witchcraft going on. There's a bit of a mid-album lag, but stick around for "Lucifer's Lament". For some reason -- possibly the album cover -- this record always makes me want to watch Return of the Living Dead.

Track listing:
1. Black Mass
2. The Invocation
3. Burn Offerings
4. The Hex
5. Possessed
6. Call for the Exorcist
7. Death by Bewitchment
8. The Trial
9. Execution of the Witches
10. Consuming Flames of Redemption
11. Megawatt Mayhem
12. Riding to Hell
13. Queen of the Dead
14. Lucifer's Lament
15. The Banishment

Do you wanna paaaaaaaaartay!?

7 comments:

  1. It's party time!!!!!!! 45 Grave rules. That record cover is bad and awesome at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I never actually checked into that band, but people have told me to. This doesn't really sound like that, but something about the campiness, zombies, and total 80s-ness of it, plus that AWESOME record cover makes me think, "If you loved me, you'd let me eat your BRAAIINS!!"

      Delete
  2. I'll bite based on the song title "Megawatt Mayhem" alone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welp, I hope you like PURE SHRED!!!! (Really, that song is just aimless shredding.)

      Delete
  3. Looks like one of the zombies is wearing flannel. Must be a fireHOSE fan! Gotta check this out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. There's a great true story behind this band (and also Original Sin and several others) basically being just Virgin Steele making one-off albums under different names. Still killer stuff though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So I've heard. That's fucking rad. Definitely the kind of shit I've talked with bandmates about doing but without the drive/talent to actually do it.

      Delete