Sunday, March 8, 2020

DJ Spooky - Optometry (2002)


Optometry is a full-length collaboration between trip-hop great DJ Spooky and a whole bunch of very talented jazz musicians, and it's a remarkably even split between the two sonic worlds. Probably my favorite DJ Spooky record, and definitely one of my favorite trip-hop records, if it counts as one.

Track listing:
1. Ibid, Desmarches, Ibid
2. Reactive Switching Strategies for the Control of Uninhabited Air
3. Variation Cybernetique: Rhythmic Pataphysic
4. Asphalt (Tome II)
5. Optometry
6. Sequentia Absentia (Dialectical Triangulation I)
7. Rosemary
8. Dementia Absentia (Dialectical Triangulation II)
9. Parachutes
10. Absentia Absentia (Dialectical Triangulation III)
11. Variation Cybernetique: Rhythmic Pataphysic (Part II)
12. Periphique
13. It's a Mad, Mad, Mad World

Across the morphic fields

Also listen to:
Richard Thomas -
Shoes and Radios Attract Paint (1998)
Burnt Friedman & Jaki Liebezeit -
Secret Rhythms (2002)

4 comments:

  1. hey man - thanks so much for sharing this - haven't listened to him in years but was a huge fan decades ago - can't wait to revisit the past and enter the future at the same time since I've not heard this release - you are awesome. may your daze be quite wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah I was just looking for good music to study to. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard other DJ Spooky,but not this one. What a fantastic album,thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey D_S, I hope you've been as well as is possible during this reality-shift. I just wanted to mention
    one of my fav Spooky albums, "Madame Freedom - The Re-score" which finds Paul D. Miller in top compositional form, collaborating with two violinists & a cellist for a commission to "re-score" a soundtrack for the 1956 Korean film "Madame Freedom". It's really gorgeous, & can be considered an atypical string quartet of sorts; I just consider it lovely. In any event if you don;t know it, you should!
    -I was just going to play it actually & realized I have to re-import it, had a hdd crash last summer. Once I locate it if you don't have it I'd be happy to upload for you :)

    ***Also just want to mention one of my favorite albums/discoveries of the last year - Terje Evensen's "Music for Paintings" which if you don't know you will love - shit ok....I was going to describe it but just got a txt my grocery delivery is here (I'm too afraid to go anywhere). Let me quickly find ya a link to it:
    https://terjeevensen.bandcamp.com/releases

    I can send it to you as well if you like, let me know. cheers

    ReplyDelete