Tuesday, May 26, 2020

Sparklehorse - The Black Sessions (2006)


Previously on OPIUM HUM:
Sparklehorse - Distorted Ghost EP (1999)

I rarely cry when celebrities/musical heroes die -- John Prine, David Bowie, and Prince also come to mind -- but Linkous really got me. This March was the 10th anniversary of his untimely passing, and I really fucked up by not posting this to mark the occasion. The Black Sessions is a crisp, punchy bootleg of a performance on French radio show France Inter, and includes songs from all four Sparklehorse records. Grab the tissues and saddle up.

Track listing:
1. Gold Day
2. Sad & Beautiful World
3. Apple Bed
4. Hammering the Cramps
5. Painbirds
6. It's Not So Hard
7. Eyepennies
8. Spirit Ditch
9. Weird Sisters
10. Ghost in the Sky
11. Don't Take My Sunshine Away
12. Someday I Will Treat You Good

The moon it will rise with such
Horse laughter
It's dragging pianos to the ocean
If I had a home
You know it'd be
In a slide trombone


You might also like:
Luna -
The Days of Our Nights (1999)
Hospital Ships -
The Past Is Not a Flood (2016)

6 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this. It wasn't just Mark's death that got to me, it was knowing that he had been living in unbearable psychic pain. Same with Elliot Smith.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this. For me it was Mark Linkous and Jason Molina whose passings really hit me more than they should have.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for this share

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have you heard Taylor Brook - Virtutes Occultae?
    Microtonal mu-sic(k) :) try upload if you can.

    ReplyDelete