Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Sparklehorse - Distorted Ghost EP (1999)


Released between Sparklehorse's second and third albums, Distorted Ghost begins with "Happy Man (Memphis Version)", a track that answered the prayers of anyone, myself included, who fell in love with the apparent pop song that popped up, garbled and half-destroyed, on the Good Morning Spider track "Chaos of the Galaxy/Happy Man". The next four songs are prime Sparklehorse -- whimsical, melancholic, starry-eyed alt rock -- with a highlight in the stuttering noise pop of Daniel Johnston cover (thanks Nils) "My Yoke Is Heavy". Finally, the EP closes with a live version of "Happy Man" in the style of GMS favorite "Pig". An essential release for any fan.

Track listing:
1. Happy Man (Memphis Version)
2. Waiting for Nothing
3. Happy Place
4. My Yoke Is Heavy
5. Gasoline Horseys (Live)
6. Happy Pig (Live)

I woke up in a horse's stomach one foggy morning
His eyes were crazy and he smashed into the cemetery gates

5 comments:

  1. My Yoke Is Heavy is a Daniel Johnston cover

    ReplyDelete
  2. Any chance of an updated link for this gem?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Done. If you haven't already, check out The Black Sessions, a really great Sparklehorse bootleg: http://opiumhum.blogspot.com/2020/05/sparklehorse-black-sessions-2006.html

      Delete
    2. Thanks and I'll check that out! You're the best!

      Delete
    3. Thank you for the Sparklehorse recommendation. Typically, I'm not a fan of too many 'Live' records, but I have to say I was impressed with this one. I listened to it multiple times already and every time I hear it, I seem to like it a little more.

      Delete