Wednesday, February 23, 2022

Escarnium - Interitus (2016)


Dark, punishing Brazilian death metal. I kinda wrote Interitus off at first -- there was so much OSDM-worship coming out at the time, I think I was just burnt-out -- but upon revisiting, it kicks ass. Refreshingly, Escarnium weren't just aping Incantation. In fact, they're not really aping anyone in particular, although they are somewhere in the razor-sharp, subtly cerebral realm of Immolation.

Track listing:
1. The Horror
2. While the Furnace Burns
3. Starvation Death Process
4. Radioactive Doom
5. Omnis Mortuus Est - Inheritus
6. Macabre Rites
7. Genocide Ritual
8. The Gray Kingdon
9. 100 Days of Bloodbath
10. Human Waste


You'd probably also like:

4 comments:

  1. It's 'Interitus', not 'Inheritus' :) Fantastic album, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the correction! I really should pay better attention when making these posts, but history shows that I probably won't.

      Delete
  2. Hey I downloaded this a few days ago, yet my blogger feed shows you posted it 4 hours ago (?).

    This was a fun listen overall. Upon further inspection, this was released in 2016, but recorded in 2012.

    The old school revival happened then, also the peak time for deathcore. Perhaps they could have done without the samples and shaved a couple songs off. Still, a decent listen!

    I remember when Nux Vomica played a show in my town's (Fargo, ND) diy venue, and a local deathcore band played after you guys. I remember thinking "hmmm the metalcore scene is now adding death metal elements to their music?".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, 2012 was definitely when that first wave of Incantation-worship hit, but the mid-aughts was when (in my experience, anyway) it was in full swing. Maybe it's because that's when I started working at a record store, saw hundreds of promos for would-be-next-big-thing OSDM bands, and checked out.

      More importantly: Hell yeah, I remember that show! That was towards the end of a long-ass tour we did in 2009. This band Javelina -- BBQ metal, Red Fang-type stuff -- joined up with us for that last week, and Fargo was the first show we played with them. The name's pronounced "Ha-vuh-lee-nuh" and we would always sing "Javelina can fly / Javelina can touch the sky" (to the tune of "I Believe I Can Fly") and they'd pretend it didn't annoy the shit out of them. I also remember the band you're talking about, but I don't remember their name. We were not stoked. Weren't they doing crabcore-type moves?

      Delete