Sunday, February 27, 2022

ilkae - Pistachio Island (2001)


Chilled-out sounds released by the great Merck, a Florida-based label that put out tons of great shit over a relatively short run.  Pistachio Island = 45 vignettes of ambient, beat-driven IDM, along with the artist's encouragement to play it on shuffle. This conceptually playful approach feels like a relic of a bygone era of electronic music, but sonically, the record feels like an antecedent to the whole "chill lo-fi beats" thing, only in ADHD form.

I'm not typing all that out; find the track listing here.


If you like this, listen to:

2 comments:

  1. You pretty much can't go wrong with anything Merck put out! One of those labels where I'll just buy records on site as soon as I see the logo.

    Hadn't gotten onto this one til now, and man, it's good (thanks as always!). I've had 'Bovine Rearrangement', the remix album that came out after this is in 2004 for years and it's ace too. Had heaps of great producers doing mixes - Machinedrum, Daedelus, Proem, Joseph Nothing, Proswell - top cast of characters!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey D_S, nice post. Really helpful too as my copy is...somewhere. Along with Bring Extra Dragons & Bovine Rearrangement. In a box someplace. I'm realizing that other than those 3 releases I never got my hands on any of the eps or other albums - will have to try to acquire the rest! Thanks for this, it's great that I can have my brain dancing on the most pistachio of islands once again ;)

    ReplyDelete