Monday, December 30, 2019

Susan Alcorn - Uma (2000)


I'm back from Baltimore (where Susan Alcorn apparently now lives) so here's an album of contemplative, melancholic, experimental pieces for pedal steel -- along with some minimal accompaniment -- that I've been meaning to post for years. Everything I've ever heard by Alcorn has been phenomenal, including the two collaborative albums she released this year.

Track listing:
1. Uma's River Song of Love
2. Dancing
3. Kalimankou Denkou / Thrace
4. Thelonious Monk Medley
5. The Royal Band -- Shambhala
6. Mercedes Sosa
7. The Bells of Amden (Für Suzanne)
8. Amazing Grace

Time was nothing

Similar listening:
Bill Connors - Swimming with a
Hole in My Body
(1979)
Sasha Matson -
Steel Chords, I-5 (1993)

6 comments:

  1. Thanks. Happy holidays man

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this one. Alcorn is incredible, I saw her live and it really was a transcendent experience. Plus she could not be a more pleasant person. If you ever get the chance to see her, do not hesitate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Pedal steel music is stupid!" I thought.

    Turns out I was stupid.

    Alcorn is now another musician (c/o Opium Hum) I have to listen a lot more to. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for introducing me to Susan Alcorn and a whole new way to play and compose for steel guitar.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do you happen to have anymore of Ms. Alcorn handy?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much for letting me discover this musician! <3
    Your blog is really nice, because it's very varied as everyone's musical tastes should be.
    I also really like the phrases you link ;-)
    Cheers from Italy !

    ReplyDelete