Tuesday, December 1, 2020

Cibo Matto - Cibo Matto (1995)


Perfect, food-obsessed first EP by the great, undervalued Cibo Matto, whose loose, hip-hop/trip-hop-informed sound lands them somewhere in the realm of Odelay-era Beck. Cibo Matto features early versions of three songs that ended up on Viva! La Woman -- including their two 'hits' -- as well as a surprisingly beautiful take on "Black Hole Sun". This band was a goddamn treasure.

Track listing:
1. Beef Jerky
2. Birthday Cake
3. Know Your Chicken
4. Black Hole Sun

You might also enjoy:

7 comments:

  1. One of my favorite shows of that era. Treasure is right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, would it be possible for you to reupload Pick Up Heaven by Drain?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Done. Sorry for the delay, someone's been requesting re-ups for like 10 black metal records a day and your request got buried. Enjoy!

      Delete
  3. I discovered them on stage at the first Tibetan Freedom Concert in San Francisco. They blew me away... two young Japanese women scream-singing-rapping over amazing beats. I ran out and got their CD right away. Thanks for posting this... I never knew there was an earlier EP. Can't wait to listen! "Yes I'm cooking for my son and his wife..." Awesome stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Left one of their CDs in my ex's car, big sad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesoooommme, thank you so much! I was obsessed with Viva! La Woman but could never get hold of this one. You've totally made my day!

    ReplyDelete