Sunday, December 20, 2020

Nina Nastasia - The Blackened Air (2002)


Beautiful, idiosyncratic folk rock/chamber folk from the early-aughts sad bastard boom. The Blackened Air made an impact when it first came out -- the record store I used to work at had a bunch of used copies -- but I haven't heard it mentioned since way-back-when. I honestly hadn't even listened to it in like 15 years until the other day, when I put on an old-ass mix CD in my car and "Ocean" came on. Real good stuff, though. Recorded by Steve Albini.

Track listing:
1. Run, All of You...
2. I Go with Him
3. This Is What It Is
4. Oh My Stars
5. All for You
6. So Little
7. Desert Fly
8. Ugly Face
9. In the Graveyard
10. Ocean
11. Rosemary
12. The Same Day
13. Been So Long
14. The Very Next Day
15. Little Angel
16. That's All There Is


Also listen to:

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for introducing this to me - sounds perfect for this snowy morning in my kitchen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dang, I didn't realize that she has released almost nothing in the past decade! Something new is coming soon. Her Peel Session with the Tuvan throat singers was wonderful. If you haven't heard it, I'll put up a link.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes! Please jonder... I need to listen her peels.
    TIA

    ReplyDelete