Tuesday, March 8, 2022

Jerry Butler - The Spice of Life (1972)


Soul singer/Impressions founder Jerry Butler's unsung magnum opus. A double album of big-hearted symphonic soul that somehow has yet to be reissued or offered on streaming services. There's no big, overarching theme at work here -- obviously, love comes up a lot, but that's pretty much par for the course for a soul record -- it's just a collection of great songs that wouldn't fit on one LP.

Track listing:
-Disc One-
1. What's So Good About It (You're My Baby)
2. If I Could Remember (Not Ever Having You)
3. I Only Have Eyes for You
4. That's the Way It Is (That's the Way It Was)
5. One Night Affair
6. A Prayer
7. Get on the Case
8. So Far Away
-Disc Two-
1. I Need You
2. You Can't Always Tell
3. Stop Steppin' on My Dreams
4. Baby I'ma Want You
5. (They Long to Be) Close to You
6. Don't Rip Me Off
7. The Masquerade Is Over / Since I Fell for You
8. All Kinds of People


You should also hear:

1 comment:

  1. Oh D_S this is excellent, thank you man! My father had the album but sold it at a garage sale pfffff. --Entirely unrelated but a possible request if I may; do you have Trans Am's "TA" album to share? Can't find my physical copy to import and I've been itching to hear it. It just figures that one of the songs from "TA" that's been stuck in my head for a couple months is 'Cold War'. Yep.
    80% of my family came from Ukraine, so this is fucking me up cosmically, it's like my baseline nightmare anxiety but reflected refracted and twisted endlessly thru funhouse mirrors. Sorry dude I can't seem to "talk" to anyone without ruminating. And thanks either way concerning TA, I'm so grateful your blog has been here as a total refuge for me through dark dark times, pretty much that's always my state. --Regards

    ReplyDelete