Saturday, December 8, 2018

Potentiam - Bálsýn (1999)


Epic, melodic Icelandic black metal. Discovered Potentiam via promo materials for some Leviathan record -- don't remember which one -- which makes no sense because, apart from the fact that they're both amazing, they're completely dissimilar.

Thanks to the legions of commenters who corrected my original claim that Potentiam was from the US. I don't know where I got that. Plus, the one commenter who pointed out that I DID, in fact, post this three years ago, and got it right that time. This whole goddamn post is a mess, but I'm gonna save it and delete the other cause this one's more fun.

Track listing:
1. To Know Is to Die
2. The Pleasures of Suffering
3. Voices Within
4. In Unity
5. Álfablóð
6. Látum Oss Biðja
7. My Journey into Darkness
8. Sorcery
9. Flames of Potentiam

My flesh in flames

You'd also like:
Night Conquers Day -
Rebellion Is the Art of Survival (1999)
Blood Stained Dusk -
Dirge of Death's Silence (2001)

8 comments:

  1. Metallum says they are from Iceland, which is what I always thought. It's a great album that I haven't heard in ages, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Phenomenal album but this is an Icelandic band, no?

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are from Iceland Not USBM. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Potentiam is from Iceland, mate.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I got this cd when it came out, definitely an underrated gem. They are also from Iceland so you may want to change your description, heh.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Let yourself off the hook, and check your archives. ;-) You posted it June 7, 2015. Although are you sure about the USBM tag? Every time I've seen this release referred to, it's described as a sorta early BM release from Iceland. Either way, thanks for it both times!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I thought Potentiam was from Iceland?

    ReplyDelete