Tuesday, July 14, 2020

Michel Herr, Bill Frisell, Vinton Johnson, Kermit Driscoll - Good Buddies (1978)


Related:
Bill Frisell - Rambler (1984)

How 'bout a little fusion to liven up your otherwise oppressively hopeless existence? And how did I only just find out earlier today that Bill Frisell plays on a bunch of The Bees Made Honey in the Lion's Skull? Crazy. Discovering that made me want to hear maybe some more obscure Frisell stuff, which led me to Good Buddies. Features, among others, Frisell on guitar, and gratuitous nudity on the album cover.

Track listing:
1. Acapulco Bells
2. Frog Legs Vampin' in the Moonlight
3. I Think I Know What You Mean
4. Sans Blues Thank You
5. What Do You Mean, What Do You Mean?
6. Good Buddies

Smile on you

You should also listen to:
Paul Horn -
Dream Machine (1978)
Cam Newton -
Welcome Aliens (1980)

6 comments:

  1. Wow, thanks, this was one of the better fusion albums I've heard in a long time. The novelty song/singing though ("I think I know what you mean")? Did a square producer demand they should get at least one track on the radio? But the rest is gold.

    I saw Frisell live once, and his guitar-face was up there with the greats; when he was playing "outside" I couldn't tell right notes from wrong notes, but I sure could tell when HE thought they were wrong notes; it was like he had stepped on a rusty nail.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Frisell played on Bees Made Honey? The fuck? Makes imperfect sense in a congroovious sort of way. Thanks for that knowledge and this post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. TITS OUT FOR FUSION

    ReplyDelete
  4. file under breast fusion

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha, I loved the "I think I know what you mean" song

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you're interested in obscureish Frisell, check out 'Claude's Late Morning' by Bobby Previte. A really good album.

    Cheers for the ever-excellent blog.

    ReplyDelete