Sunday, November 13, 2022

Blue Foundation - Blue Foundation (2001)

Trip-hop of the dark, sexy variety, which is, ultimately, probably my favorite kind. Generic Ultra Chilled artwork aside, Blue Foundation is one of the best lesser-known trip-hop records that I'm aware of. It's the project's debut full-length, and sure, they might not yet have fully developed a sound that's significantly distinguishable from the heavyweights of the genre (i.e. Massive Attack, Tricky, and Portishead.) "Jabber" in particular directly jacks both Tricky's foreboding flow and his signature move of interspersing it with whispery female vocals. Counterpoint: who fucking cares? It's dope.

Track listing:
1. Wiseguy
2. Grand
3. Witch of Trouble
4. Crushed
5. Jabber
6. Hollywood
7. Burgeon
8. Black S
9. Mazda
10. Hide
11. Cutting Me Up
12. J. Hurt
13. Evo


If you like this, listen to:

3 comments:

  1. Trip hop has sort of lost its luster for me, sadly. Getting inundated on Reddit is part of it. This ain't bad though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought this on vinyl when I was a teenager from a friend who worked at the label in Copenhagen. As far as I remember, DJ Noize was involved somehow. Thank you for reminding me of this album.

    ReplyDelete