Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Ian Boddy - Elements of Chance (1981) + Options (1982)



Two excellent, early cassettes from criminally under-appreciated UK synthesizer-guru Ian Boddy. Anxious, arpeggiating basslines, simple drum machine patterns, and gauzy synth leads. I'm still obsessing over David Bowie so it's difficult for me to hear stuff like this without considering how heavily indebted it is to the haunting second half of Low.

Track listing:
-Elements of Chance-
1. Iaja
2. Natural Motion
3. Four Views
4. Surface Touches
5. Elements of Chance
6. Living Son [Bonus]
-Options-
1. Corridors
2. Karina
3. Water on Stone
4. Into View
5. Skylights
6. Silhouette
7. Follow
8. End Sequence
9. Till Quiet Descends
10. 21 Degrees

Living in a ritual

For more in this vein, try:
Edgar Froese - Aqua (1974)
Giorgio Moroder - Einzelgänger (1975)

5 comments:

  1. Interesting, I just finished with a 6-hour BBC radio documentary on Bowie from '93 (found at Voodoo Wagon) wherein he mentions Froese's "Epsilon in Malaysian Pale" in particular as having been influential on the sound of his Berlin period.

    Yes, right with you in your obsession - have been slowly making my way through most of his catalog, along with a whole lot of live boots and other unofficial recordings. Hard to believe it's only been 2-1/2 weeks since it happened, seems like months!

    It strikes me that if you're someone who grew up in the 70s-80s, Bowie's passing maybe feels much like Elvis Presley's did for those who grew up in the 50s. This artist of such amazing creativity and originality, far-reaching influence, and delicious weirdness, a voice for the disaffected who it seems had to go away for us to fully appreciate how important he has been to the world and our own lives.

    Anyway, thanks for this, as always.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Been taking advantage of all the studying I've had to do by going through your ambient posts. Options has to be one of my favorites.

    Oh, and praise Bowie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can't go wrong with Bowie or Froese really. Low is one of my fave Bowie albums reminding me of the movie that he was in: The Man Who Fell To Earth. But them I like many of his albums. I think he did speak a lot to the disaffected as the above comment says, perfect for anyone in high school or college in those years. Boddy is unknown to me, but I'm a fan of most synth and the Berlin school. Grazie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can you please re-up? If possible.

    ReplyDelete